Tom Ciampa provides sophisticated representation and legal advice in most areas of commercial litigation, with a primary focus on representing management in employment law matters, representing partners and shareholders seeking to understand or exercise their rights of ownership, and litigating contract disputes. Prior to founding Ciampa & Associates (which subsequently merged to become Ciampa Fray-Witzer, LLP), Mr. Ciampa spent five years as a litigation associate with the downtown Boston law firm of Hutchins, Wheeler & Dittmar where he worked on a variety of business litigation and employment law matters. Temporarily lured away from the private practice of law by the opportunity and excitement surrounding start-up businesses during the technology boom of the mid-1990s, Mr. Ciampa founded, raised capital for, and operated one start-up business before going on to act as a business advisor to a small angel investment firm with holdings in a portfolio of small and start-up businesses. Capitalizing upon this unique combination of experiences, Mr. Ciampa returned to private practice based upon his belief that businesses of all sizes could tremendously benefit from access to sophisticated legal services provided on a fee structure that does not incorporate the lavish overhead more readily associated with major law firms. Mr. Ciampa graduated from Boston University School of Law, Juris Doctor, and from College of the Holy Cross, B.A., Economics. He is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts of The Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Representative matters and results include:
- Represented minority partner group in suit commenced against majority partners advancing right of minority partners to retire from real estate partnership as a matter of right and immediately receive from the partnership the value of their collective partnership interest; approximately $5 million. After law suit was dismissed by the Massachusetts District Court, successfully appealed to the First Circuit Court of Appeals which reversed District Court and remanded for entry of judgment in favor of minority partners.
- Achieved summary judgment dismissal of age discrimination claim against publicly held health care company.
- Successfully represented privately-held medical device company in litigation arising out of claims by former senior executive under employment agreement.
- Commenced action to forcibly dissolve closely-held corporation on behalf of fifty-percent shareholder and leveraged superior litigation position to dictate terms of voluntary division of corporate assets; client retained, among other assets, corporate customer consistently responsible for sixty percent of corporation’s gross revenues.
- Successfully defended Gymboree Play & Music franchisee in litigation arising out of alleged breach of Asset Purchase Agreement with former franchise holder.
- Achieved summary judgment dismissal of Massachusetts Wage Act claim against former President and CEO of privately-held computer software company.